Nick Nordquist, Chief Product Officer at Advanced Image Robotics, reveals what products and technologies Advanced Image Robotics will be showing in its pod at the 2023 NAB Show, which takes place at the Las Vegas Convention Center April 15–19. Advanced Image Robotics will be showcasing its AIR One video production platform in Pod W3421G in the West Hall’s Connect Experiential Zone during NAB Show.
What has your company been working on since the last NAB Show?
AIR has been improving the overall platform and preparing to rollout AIRcloud™, an online ecosystem that augments or replaces traditional broadcast hardware, and integrates existing third-party production apps into one pane of glass. IT setup and connectivity is a huge time suck for video techs on live events, and we’ve removed that by building a simple interface to an ecosystem that does the heavy lifting on connectivity, and provides easy scalability with cloud compute. The platform also features a dashboard that provides live diagnostics for every AIR One™ camera within a shoot, providing full visibility from CDN to set.
- Provides a live diagnostic view into individual cameras all the way from the CDN down to the set. This is a first-of-its-kind innovation that enables producers to quickly identify technical issues, saving hundreds of hours and millions of dollars in support costs, and providing a better viewer experience.
- Radically reduces shoot costs by pushing traditional hardware functions to highly-scalable cloud compute. Productions can increase or decrease capacity on demand without needing to acquire new hardware.
- Radically reduces set-up time and complexity through our shoot prep portal. Crew spend more time shooting and less time prepping. The hours/days spent onsite prepping for a shoot are digitally transformed, and crew spend more time shooting.
- Simplifies live production and OTT production. Video techs no longer need to be IT experts. If they can plug in a power cord, plug in an ethernet cable, and operate an intuitive laptop GUI, they can setup a shoot.
- Integrates all production personnel and equipment in one interface. At a glance, I can see my entire crew, their assignments, their status.
- Provides central repository for all project information and media, providing easy access for archive footage, highlights, etc.
- Provides easy third-party app integration through our API. If users have a favorite they want on the platform, it can be added. We don’t believe in walled gardens.
What products or product categories are you highlighting at the 2023 NAB Show?
AIR One™ — our robotic smart gimbal + camera combination the provides for easy setup, precise control, minimal footprint, interchangeable lenses, and great cinematic video.
AIR One™ App — our iOS software that enables easy and precise control of AIR One™ camera robots through a touchscreen app. Pan and zoom with easy, precision smoothness. Easy-program presets bring your camera back to any position. No more joystick. No more hard buttons. No more bulky console. Bring ultimate control to your craft.
AIRcloud™ — AIRcloud™ platform gives you unprecedented integration over the camera-to-viewer workflow and is a force-multiplier for your crew. Because AIR One™ connects directly to the internet, in most cases you don’t need to roll an OB truck. At ultra low latency, your team can run multiple cameras from onsite or offsite. Your director can call shots from anywhere as if they were in the same room! Switch, edit, run comms, add graphics, and output the results to any CDN.
What recent technology developments do you think are the most exciting for the media and entertainment industry?
Improved pathways to IP-based production are adding capabilities and cost efficiencies we’ve only dreamed of before the last two years. As the tools for storytellers get better, the overall industry grows and new applications that don’t even exist yet suddenly emerge. This is an incredibly exciting time to be in media production.
About Advanced Image Robotics
We founded Advanced Image Robotics in March 2020 to solve pains experienced over 30 years of live video production. Content creators and producers shouldn’t have to be IT experts, and it shouldn’t take the GDP of a small country to broadcast an event.
Our executive team has worked with some of the biggest brands in entertainment and tech, won multiple Emmy® Awards, and driven some of the world’s biggest product launches. Technical advances over the last few years have given us the pieces to radically simplify this industry, and we’ve used our collective expertise to combine them into a purpose-built platform. We can’t wait to see what content you’ll create with it!
For more information, visit advancedimagerobotics.com.