ThunderBay 4 RAID – 4-Bay Storage Enclosure with Dual Thunderbolt 3 Ports
All New Design for Power and Performance
ThunderBay 4, OWC’s flagship 4-bay RAID powerhouse is bigger and faster than ever before. Now with the unbelievable performance of Thunderbolt 3 — up to 1527MB/s sustained performance1 — it’s the ultimate workhorse external storage solution. Not only faster, the new ThunderBay 4 Thunderbolt 3 is now natively compatible with both 2.5″ and 3.5″ drives, and with a redesigned chassis, it’s even cooler and quieter too.
Edit, Experiment, Create, Design
Designed with performance in mind and engineered to harness the power of Thunderbolt 3, ThunderBay 4 is an incredibly flexible external solution with the throughput to support multi-stream compressed 4K video and other bandwidth-intensive operations. ThunderBay 4 is highly configurable to perfectly match your performance needs. Choose between traditional hard drives or Solid State Drives. Use each drive independently, or in the RAID configuration of your choice for the optimal balance of performance and data-redundancy. Get the most out of your storage, take the brakes off your workflow, and do more with a ThunderBay 4.
Monitoring + Notifications
Easily setup drive monitoring and e-mail notifications to keep you informed about your ThunderBay’s performance and drive health. Helping you to maintain mission critical workflows.
Certified and Tested
Each ThunderBay 4 undergoes OWC’s multi-hour drive “burn-in” performance certification procedure prior to shipping. This ensures your ThunderBay 4 arrives operating properly, ready for demanding use.
Backed by OWC
- You can rely on OWC’s award-winning U.S.-based support for the ThunderBay 4 solution. Plus, ThunderBay 4 comes with an OWC Limited Warranty.
- macOS 10.12 or later
- Windows 10 or later1
- Mac or PC featuring Thunderbolt 3 interface
- Mac or PC featuring Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 interface2
- (2) Thunderbolt 3 (Intel DSL6540)
- (1) DisplayPort
Max Transfer Rate
- Thunderbolt 3: 40 Gb/s (5000 MB/s)
JBOD / RAID Support
- JBOD: Utilize each of the four drives independently
- RAID: Use the included SoftRAID software RAID to setup the ThunderBay 4 for RAID 0, 1, 4, 5, and 10
- (4) 3.5″ SATA 6Gb/s drives or
- (4) 2.5″ SATA 6Gb/s drives3
- SATA revision 3.0 (6Gb/s) compliant
- Compatible with SATA revisions 2.0 (3Gb/s) and 1.0 (1.5Gb/s)
Kensington Lock Slot
- Yes (Power and disk activity)
Plug and Play
- Power Supply
- Internal UL-listed universal auto-switching power supply
- AC Input: 100 – 230V
- Environmental (Operating)
- Temperature (°F) 50° — 95°
- Temperature (°C) 10° — 35°
- Environmental (Non-Operating)
- Temperature (°F) −40° — 149°
- Temperature (°C) −40° — 65°
- Height: 7.0 in (177 mm)
- Width: 5.3 in (135 mm)
- Length: 9.6 in (245 mm)
- 3.9 kg (8.6 lbs)
1. Setting up a RAID volume for Windows requires the use of the Disk Management application, as SoftRAID is Mac only at this time.
2. Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2 compatibility requires a certified Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 (mDP) adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable. Compatibility will be at Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2 speeds.
3. This enclosure is currently not compatible with Samsung 860 series SSDs.
4. For units purchased prior to 12/24/18, please see the OWC ThunderBay 4 Support Page for instructions on how to update your ThunderBay’s firmware.
Manufacturer provided specifications for Other World Computing p/n TB3SRKIT0GB UPC#: 812437029666Learn more