The new Canon EOS R3 has been launched to bridge the gap between their EOS R5 and the EOS-1D X line. With improved autofocus and five axis stabilization, the new camera will be ideal for sports and action programming.
Like the EOS R5 and R6, the camera features the improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF II with 1,053 AF Points and EOS iTR tracking down to EV -7.5 for subjects such as eye, face, head, animals, and select cars and motorcycles. Also, the camera features up to 8 stops of in-body image stabilized (IBIS) shake correction.
The core of the EOS R3 is brand new 24.1-megapixel back-illuminated stacked CMOS sensor. Twinned with the DIGIC X processor it delivers a continuous blackout-free shooting at up to 30 fps in electronic (silent) shutter mode and up to 12 fps in mechanical shutter. Native ISO is from 100-102400 – expandable up to 204,800 for still images.
The camera is capable of shooting 6K 60p RAW and 4K 120p 10-bit uncropped video with Canon Log 3 support. Included color spaces are rec 709 and 2020 for HDR support.
Additional features include:
- One-piece magnesium alloy design, integrating the body with a vertical grip section
- Weather and dust resistance equivalent to EOS-1D camera models.
- Mobile File Transmitter application for iOS and Android devices
- Built-in wired LAN, 5GHz Wi-Fi, USB and Bluetooth
- Dual-card slots, supporting one CF express and one UHS-II SD
The Canon EOS R3 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera is available in November 2021.